June 14, 2010

Who's *job* is this anyway?

Well, I had this bright idea of my father hiring my kids to mow his lawn instead of him paying someone else to do it. Initially a great idea, dad's lawn gets mowed by someone who cares, kids get some spending cash for the summer, mom is going to "supervise" while all this is going on. Boy could I have been any further off in left field!??? We have successfully mowed both lawns, in town and at the Dike. First off, we are busy so we can only fit mowing in a couple days here and there. Secondly, that blasted Mother Nature won't let up with the rain (enough is enough!) so that we can mow. And thirdly, all this rain has turned BOTH lawns into somewhat of a jungle. ugh! We managed to mow in town in the rain last week. HUGE job to say the least. Since the sunshine decided to show it's pretty little face today, I thought we'd just "run to the Dike" and get this job done, dad said it's getting long. Off we head, (only after waiting at the park for baseball practice that happens to be tomorrow, NOT today). When we get there, I head to the shed to get the mower and the weed eater. Weed eater, check; mower.....uh, where's the mower? So, we 3 scour the over-grown property for this so called mower that grandpa said he had. No luck, so I get on the phone and call my dad, he said it's in the shed, I said, "NOPE, no mower pops." "ReallY?" " Yup, really." So I asked what color it was and he told me "red and black with geat big wheels." I said "like the one that we mowed your lawn in town with last week?" He said "yes, that's mine!" {SIDENOTE: Last week he commented that he didn't know where the mower in his garage came from, it must have been from someone he'd hired in the past. He laughed and said "like the kids' parents wouldn't know he forgot his mower!" Turns out, it was his all along. My dad is a NUT!} Okay, we're 20 miles from town, and we are in my car, so I decide to borrow Leannes mower, cuz I didn't just drive all the way out here to turn around and drive back home! So we head over to her place. Since we are in my car we have only one choice and that's to walk the mower back over to my dad's house. Okay, easier said than done. BIG. HILLS. enough said. We begin the colossal task of mowing which takes us about 2 1/2 hours or so. The weed eater that they own is geared toward a 200 lb. man, and not a spindly 70 lb. grand daughter or her mother! {she who purchased the weed eater must have left her 'thinking cap' at home when she was shopping! (she's about the size of Kali)} So when we finally finish, we are too pooped to push that mower back to Leanne's house, so we left a note for my dad to take it back when he gets home with his truck. Upon arriving back at the car, we realize that Jerry is at his place MOWING! Oh, no....his mower is at Lonzo's! I asked him if he was wondering where his push mower was, and he said sort of bewildered, "yes", and so I had to explain the whole ordeal to him and he laughed! He offered us some frosty beverages and we went and got the mower back so that he could finish up his job! So in the beginning, I had no idea what this great idea was going to do to me! ugh, I'm bushed!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite a day! We tried to fish at Tin Cup, but the water was too high/fast and just ripped off all the worms...

    ReplyDelete